Monday, January 26, 2009

An Old Friend


It's after midnight and I was up before dawn this morning. A long day... but I got the 9th section of my "12 Week Business Intensive" workbook done tonight. That is a good thing. Tomorrow I have on the agenda to finish the 10th and then it is practically all downhill until I have finished the 11th and 12th (the last.) This ninth one was the hardest as it is my attempt to condense into one learn-able process all the things I have learned about sales over the past 10 years. Sales is probably the hardest part of having your own business for most people.

You are probably wondering what Chatty Cathy has to do with all this. Actually, she has nothing to do with it! I just took her picture this morning and now here she is in my blog at the end of the day. She is an old friend of mine and I have had her out since Christmas. Just the other day I put her into this pink dress and she has been smiling away on the back of the couch ever since. Have you noticed that dolls from the era of my childhood (1950s and 60s) were all smiling and modern dolls often aren't? WHAT can doll makers be thinking? If you can't count on your DOLL smiling at you who CAN you count on? I wonder! : )

In any case, getting back to sales, I have been thinking all day about the 1000s of people who are about to get laid off at Caterpillar, Home Depot, Starbucks, Microsoft, and etc. They read the list on MSNBC tonight. I just feel for all these people, and for myself because business was so hard last year, and for my clients who have also been feeling the pinch. I am thinking tomorrow of writing an article for the internet about the pros and cons of starting your own business because I know some of those people who have just been laid off, or are about to be laid off, will be considering this option.

As for me, right now, I better get to bed. It is late, late, late and I have been trying to get up to enjoy that first light in the morning. Who knows... maybe I will see neighbor fox again if I get up early enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment