Tuesday, December 30, 2008

To Get Up or Not To Get Up




Some mornings it is a hard decision whether to get up or to go back to sleep for a just a litttttle while longer.

This morning the wind was daunting in its intensity. I still smile when I think of the person who announced a "small dog warning" on the radio one of the first months after I moved to Boulder. I didn't know whether to believe him or not but the picture of small dogs circling their owners heads on the end of a leash is still one that makes me laugh. On a morning such as this one, it is not too hard to believe. The wind comes rushing down the canyon and spreads out across the plains. The sound of wind brushing past each and every naked limb, branch and twig creates a stupendous roaring - the kind that makes you glance warily upward wondering about the strength of the trees.

But it was what I saw when I drew back the curtain beside my bed that propelled me out of it. It was still very dark out but brilliant crimson streaks filled the darkness on the south eastern skyline. It took me seconds to pull on some clothes and grab my camera before I was out into the wind to try and capture a shot. It turned out better than I expected!

I don't seem to have very much control over where the pictures end up yet. The second picture, of the bird feeder swinging in the wind, has landed ABOVE the first one. I will have to figure out if there is a way to drop pictures into the bottom or middle of a post as well as at the top.




No comments:

Post a Comment